Plant Daddy

Sunday, January 15, 2006

I caught my age today.

Golfers like to talk about shooting their age when they get older. This week I caught my age in whiting in the surf. That means 59 whiting plus 4 bluefish. Last Tuesday was good fishing --- today was great. Used shrimp and sand fleas caught in my handy sand flea rake - both baits worked well. Only saved some of the largest fish since 16 of the yummies filled my ice chest. May have to get a larger chest.

Arrived before dawn (see photo)to a beautiful 75 degree day. The water was cool, clean and fishing was hot. Most amazing of all was that I was the only person fishing all day. In fact a total of 6 people came and left the beach during the 6 hours I was there. Can't beat having your own private beach. There was no one for over a mile in either direction.

Fishing slowed around 11:00 so the 'nooners' could not of had such a good fishing day. So now I am torn between being an 'early birder' or a 'nooner'. Actually not - let's just say tweet, tweet. Note: the sand fleas were caught before the photo below was taken (i.e. early). They disappeared soon after the sun came up.