Plant Daddy

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I Salute Mr. Tichy

Rick Tichy was a volunteer in my research lab for over 10 years. He became a good friend with whom I had many laughs. He came to us looking for a better tomato and ended up growing dieffenbachia in tubes. He was always interested in Helen's art and Barbara's mosaics and enjoyed them both. Of course he always had a funny way of picking on them.

Rick's favorite response to me after my aimless worrying on any subject was "why worry? It doesn't change anything and only makes you miserable". I use this bit of wisdom on a regular basis.

I went surf fishing yesterday, before hearing of Rick's passing, and caught 45 whiting - Rick must have been there putting them on my hooks. Now I am going to go fertilize and water the "Mr Tichy" dogwood tree (check recent March 2006 blog photo). He does not have to worry about me caring for it - that is for sure. At least he has a good view and can check it with me. For someone who loved tomotoes, Rick was a peachy guy whom I will deeply miss.