Plant Daddy

Monday, May 15, 2006

I hate dating...............

After a short break from my, what has become, more or less a photo blog it is time to roll again. I plan on using more words and less photos. Of course my verbal creativity is in short supply but we will see how it goes. But with all my hidden wisdom maybe I can share a bit now and then.

As of this July 1, I decided to pass up an opportunity at work to make some extra savings money (quite a bit actually) for retirement. The pitfall was that I would be forced to retire in 5 years. Now money is nice, but the freedom to work as long as you choose or retire when you choose is priceless. Besides, here I have a lot of freedom and some research stuff to finish and that could take several years.

But now, suddenly my boss has decided to step down. Oh brother. Rethink position on retirement? No, but God I hate to think of “dating again”; i.e. getting to know a new boss and his ‘mystical’ mission. And then, my worst nightmare, we are going for a national search. The last time we did ended in a disaster.

However, only two requirements for me: 1. stay off the search committee and, 2. stay off the search committee.

Fortunately, that is what happened. So now, bring on the new center director. It soon will be dating time.........