Plant Daddy

Sunday, November 21, 2004

Ahhhhh... Malvaviscus

For whatever reason I have always been taken by Turk's Cap (Malvaviscus arboreus). The plants flower in the fall when days are shorter and not much else is happening color wise. They look like ornamentalized christmas trees. I love um.....

Malvaviscus is not for sale as a flowering pot plant that I know of, at least I have never seen any for sale anyway. Amazing..........

After two years of growth they are established in the back yard and in their glory. No need to water them anymore. They are ofter present in old abandoned homesteads - a testiment to their will to live. Malvaviscus have very strong root systems. They do well in full sun to partial shade.

Turk's Cap come in two colors. There is the common orangish red variety and a fleshy pink color as well. They will flower until frost. If the tops freeze they will come back from the ground.

I still think there is a christmas market for this plant..........At least it always brightens my holidays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home