Plant Daddy

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

My new art process...........

After 6 months, things have calmed and cooled down to where my interest in sculpture can be revisited. So I decided to make one for my mother as she liked the flowering bush outside our bedroom window. So a 4 x 10 foot sheet of 16 gauge steel was obtained --- has anyone noticed the price of steel..........

Before, early in my sculpture career, pieces were made at random and stuck together rapidly and changed around until they fit. No plan - just action – in couple of days the thing was done. It always seemed to be a rush to finish, fit, cut, weld grind and hurry, hurry, agonize to get proper alignment and finally to see the finished product. It was almost stressful. What the hurry was I do not know, but I got all stirred up about creating something that should be fun. Maybe it was artistic passion -- more like artistic gas I think.

This time the process is different. I am proceeding more like with the greenbean restoration (my loving '73 240z) where it was do a little, stop; do a little more later. After 6 years the car was done. So, for this new sculpture, a model was made out of cardboard and studied for a couple of days. Mosaic mom was called in as a consultant – thank God for her wisdom. Then the templates were adjusted and used to cut out the leaves – slowly – do one and stop, think, rest, and then do another. It actually became fun – no hurry.

Now I am working on the flowers - they are represented by the circles in the photo. In a couple of weeks it could be finished. Maybe not. For now a template photo is below. That is the way art projects should be. Besides I will have the templates stored and can make several more pieces once the orders come rushing in..........