Plant Daddy

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

' aint't easy in the "'Big Easy"

Went to New Orleans for the weekend to give talk at national horticulture meetings.

Left 5:00 am SAT. to do the job. As traveling ain't my specialty it was not something I was looking forward to. Actually things went pretty well although I chose not to venture out in the dark (or daylight) hours. Lots of police, 'skitters, and humidity.

The meeting and talk were fine. Did not see many people I knew but was only there the last 2 days of the meeting. Found answers to the 2 questions I had so it was worth it from that standpoint. The airport is small and not kept up too well. The general feeling of the whole area is one of "stress and struggle". The difference in economy between Orlando and New Orleans is huge with Orlando seeming like a wonderland.

Went by the Superdome and it sits in the middle of a depressing area. An abandomed 10 story hospital with broken out windows sits right next to it. It will be interesting to see how the football analysts portray the area. I can hear it now: "yes fans, the return of football to the superdome shows spirit of the great people of New Orleans." Of course I am sure they will not show the pathetic grounds surrounding the 'dome. I get real sick of how the truth is rarely given on the news. Hype is pathetic.....

I have several photos to show but forgot to bring them in today. Will post them later. Summary: I love Florida...........