Plant Daddy

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Three things that annoy me – then back to plants……………..

What are these things you may ask………

“I have no idea”.

Four simple words blended together into the most overused phrase in the English language.
I used to say it all the time and did not realize it until a friend told me.
With much practice, I rarely slip up now and utter that horrible phrase.
Of course it has cut my speaking time in half – I was really bad.
How bad? I have no idea.
Now it pervades my life and attacks from all angles.
It is everywhere.
On TV (especially the news), in the paper, and everyone says it constantly.
Why???? I have no idea. But perhaps because:

1. It has a nice flow and is easy to say without moving your lips.
2. It sounds better than “Gee, I don’t know” – none of us like to appear ignorant.
3. What is the third possible reason? Again, I have no idea.

The other non-favorite is “you know’.
You know I have no idea what that means either.
If you already know – why am I telling you in the first place?
I have no idea.
There is no escaping these phrases.
All the ‘talking heads’ would die if these 2 phrases were banned.

And finally, off course, there is the classic really short phrase “uh”.
We must eliminate this phrase too.
Then what would all the world’s wordy experts fill the airways with?
Well, uh, uh, you know, I have no idea.
I would like to find out though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home