Plant Daddy

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Rainlily Heaven......

On a whim I drove by the home that has a variety of rainlily I have not seen anywhere else (photo above). The owners were in their yard, a yard full of flowering plants, so I stopped. They thought I was nuts but they loved anyone who liked plants. They let me dig some bulbs (I got 7 beauties) at no charge but they got some 'green' anyway since this was a 3-year-old dream fulfilled. They are going to dig some more bulbs for my next trip by. What a fun stop that was. Gardeners are great.....

So now my rainlily collection includes white, pink, yellow and "purply" the newest addition. There is going to be some hybridization going soon.

For whatever reason, rainlilies really get to me. I love them, and now there is time to play with and study them. There is a man in Indonesia who has unbelieveable hybrids in a vast array of colors. He started with a yellow and a pink species. This could be a case of what 'congruity backcrossing' could achieve. Just maybe we can test this theory................ it will be fun no matter what.