Plant Daddy

Sunday, May 30, 2004

The Dog Days are Here.

Gosh, golly, good grief it is hot. Simlar to the drought a few years ago with temps in high 90’s and a dry 15-20 mph west wind in the pm. Everything is brown here and that is tough for a horticulturist but the good news is – no grass to mow. About noon it is really cooking and difficult to do much except in short bursts. Work 30 minutes and cool for 30 minutes – I guess that is the best we can do for the moment. Oh brother, only 4 more months of this. Can’t wait for the humidity…..
I water the few important plants in the early morning like citrus and the 10 plants in the garden. Also fill the bird bath which is really used a lot these days. Boy those thrushes, blue jays and cardinals can really get into a good long bath. It is really great a great show to watch.
The surf looks flat (due to west wind) and murky so not much hope of fishing unless the east breeze kicks in. A good east breeze can really drop the temps on the beach. I really cooked myself once sitting on the beach with a burning west wind bringing the hot air in off the mainland – almost to overheated to drive home and in fact left some of my gear in the parking lot. No more, now it is east breeze or stay at home.
In spite of the heat I have been working on making a few dog watering stands. Hurt my finger on a table saw years ago and won’t use that again. But this is fun using the router and a miter saw. Much less chance of injury but I am very careful. The work is tedious and hot but now I am getting the templates made and a system worked out so it is going a lot quite nicely. So far I have 3 done. Ok, ok, overproduction is not a problem. And did I say it was hot….. I am going to go get some photos of these dog things now and will post later – once it cools down.

2 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger Esrejic said...

Still waiting. Come back, PD.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Esrejic said...

Oh good ... these were not the final comments of PD ... he just moved his blog. Here: http://1plantdaddy.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home