Plant Daddy

Thursday, June 03, 2004

No Cross Pollination on Thursdays, Ever!

I have worked as a plant breeder for 25 years.
I have cross pollinated scores of species.
I have transferred lots of pollen from anthers to stigmas and germinated thousands of resultant seeds.
I have created 12 new plants that have been successful in the foliage industry.

But never on Thursdays.

Thursday is spray day and no one can enter the research house. So on Thursday I have to do other non-greenhouse work.

For many years, my Ace Volunteer has come in to do tissue culture in the lab on Thursdays. I can devote time and planning with him about what plants to initiate into culture.
I can write research reports, professional journal articles, grants, station bulletins and popular articles on Thursdays. I use Thursdays to plan current and future experiments.

Thursdays are when I make out work schedules.

And it is the best day of the week to visit nurseries.

I get a lot of things done on the day I give the pollinations a day off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home