Plant Daddy

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

OMG.....I have been out a week ....YEAH ORNAMENTALS......

YEAH ORNAMENTALS..........Just had to start off with a photo of a nice grafted adenium......one of my first attempts......

How could you stand it..............

I went to our annual plant breeders meeting last Wednesday and Thursday..........it is always interesting.........the Dean of Reserch comes and speaks etc......politics is always a heated topic...

Anyway, approximately third of the 20+ breeders are alpha, a third are moderates and a third are like me (quiet....i.e. omegas). Only 2 of the people there work with ornamentals; the rest work on various fruits, peanuts, forage, turf, citrus or some other type of plant. The people at the meeting have really accomplished some amazing things. Fascinating discussions are to be digested,usually between the 6-7 alphas.....4 of the members (3 alphas) are retired......guess they just cannot quit though.......but breeding dreams never end so I understand and respect them for staying involved.....plant breeding is a life focus....not just a job.....

One interesting thing is that the first thing any of the non-ornamental peopel say if you start a conversation is "I don't anything about ornamentals". That is strange to me since I know a lot about the stuff they are working with.....maybe if you "can't eat it they won't come" or something is in effect.

For me, ornamentals rule since they are so different and variable.....God I could not stand to stare peanut plants or alfafa all day every day. The one feeling I come away with after these meetings is is that "plant variety is the spice of life". Ornamental variety that is.......

So I am very happy to be back at work this work and have been cleaning the research greenhouse.....I need to take care of my ornamental babies.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home