Plant Daddy

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

I Went....................Surf Fishing

Jinxed of not, I woke up yesterday and decided to go fishing afterall.
Arrived at beach by 7:30.
Sand fleas were tought to find but got some with my "deep digger sand flea rake".
It was an overcast and windy day but the temperature was perfect and the water was clean and not to rough. The wind was SE but the water never got dirty.
Caught several small whiting and a couple of catfish early but then things got good.
Ended up with 30+ fish and brought home 11 nice whiting and 2 big pompano (15" plus).
The fish were filleted and frozen on cookie sheets (photo below).
The fillets were then removed from the sheets and put in freezer bags.
They do not stick together so we just remove a few to cook whenever we want.
As most fishermen know, both whiting and pompano are fantastic eating.
Another day well spent.

**** The most amazing thing was that at 1:00 pm I was the only person on the beach for a mile in either direction. It is hard to believe that I had my own personal beach on a perfect day (although a little windy). When I left at 2:00 the beach had gotten crowded again - 2 other people showed up.





Pompano and whiting fillets. Life is good.