Plant Daddy

Sunday, July 04, 2004

Back in Control….

I took back control of my 2 hobby breeding greenhouses today by throwing out an entire dumpster of adenium and mandevilla hybrids. Man that felt good. After 2 years of observing and pondering, no more spraying, weeding, pruning or repotting of those babies is needed. The best have been kept and now can be propagated, loved and studied intently. They will produce for sure as undoubtedly they noticed the parade of garbage cans to the dumpster too.

Mosiac Mom thought I was crazy to toss all those plants. That was until she saw that my clippers had run amuck on her precious basil plant. No one appreciates an artist and his clippers.!!!! Oh well, I fertilized and repotted it and it will be triple the size in a week or two or so I promised. I over prune all the time (not in my opinion let it be known), the only other thing worse is me and 3 gallons of Roundup, which I secretly sprayed this morning.

A difficult activity in breeding is discarding the undesirable hybrids. Otherwise we become overpopulated with meaningless varieties. Besides it is nice to be able to actually see the tops of benches for a change. Tossing is costly and painful but must be done. Of course I am glad my mother and father never had such an option with me.

The propagation bench is humming now after quite a rest and in 2 months the greenhouse will be stuffed once again with plants (and pests). Most of my most recent mandevilla pollinations are not setting seed – probably due to excessive heat. Will try a few more, and if unsuccessful, will wait until October. The same problems occur with dieffenbachia and anthurium in Florida. The heat just takes the poop out of everyone and everything. Me pooped too so will stop now. Happy 4th………………………

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home